Baked Not Deep Fried Vegetable Egg Rolls

Baked, Not Fried Vegetable Egg Rolls
When hubs orders Egg Rolls from a Chinese Restaurant, I decline. I rarely enjoy them - the insides tend to be rubbery, they contain MSG and they are deep fried.

But today I tried making my own vegetable egg rolls (baked not fried!) and they were delicious.

I served them with Dijon Mustard, plum sauce and soy sauce as dip choices. Hubs opted for soy while I took mustard and plum. Oh my! So good!

I decided to make vegetable egg rolls today and hubs and I loved them but next time I'm going to add crab. They would be superb with chicken or pork or beef too.

Ingredients
  • 2-3 cups grated raw carrots
  • 2 cups sliced or grated cabbage
  • 2 cups bean sprouts
  • 3 green onions, white part only
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 sweet red bell pepper
  • 1/2 sweet orange or yellow bell pepper
  • package of Egg Roll Wrappers. 
  • 1 tbsp. Cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp. water
  • 3 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
  • Cayenne Pepper
  • Ginger
Using 1 tbsp of olive oil (I used extra virgin olive oil) saute the cabbage, bell peppers, bean sprouts, carrots and minced garlic for about 6 minutes.

Then add the chopped white part of the green onions, and about 1/2 tsp each of Cayenne Pepper and ginger.

In a separate small dish mix the water, cornstarch and soy sauce, then add that to the cabbage mixture. Saute for another 3 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool.

Chopped green onions
Cornstarch, water and soy sauce

Here's how you create the egg rolls:
 Lay out the egg roll wrappers and when the filling has cooled slightly, place 2-3 Tbsp in the center of each wrapper. I used 18 wrappers and divided the filling up evenly
 Here is one wrapper with filling and I'm ready to start rolling it up
Fold the long end over and then the short ends. Press lightly to hold in place
 Bring up the other long end and press lightly, then turn over so the seam is down.
 Lightly spray a baking sheet with Canola oil and place the rolls, seam side down, on the sheet. Spray the rolls lightly with the Canola oil.
 Bake in a 425' oven for 10 minutes then turn them over and bake another 6 minutes. They will crisp up and turn a  nice golden brown.
I froze a dozen of these egg rolls. Just place them on a baking tray (uncooked) and freeze for about 20 minutes then pack them in ziplock baggies. 

 I baked six and froze the rest in 4-packs. Hubs and I will enjoy them for a light lunch over the next couple of months. I took two to my in-laws and they loved them! I'm already thinking about what else  could put in the next batch I make - celery, mushrooms and various meats and seafood. I meant to put 1/4 tsp. of Ground Flax Seed (an Omega 3 powerhouse) in each wrap before I baked them but I forgot!

Comments