Using Leftovers to Make Turkey Quesadillas

Using Leftovers to Make Turkey Quesadillas
Leftovers. We all have them. But what to do with them? I like to use leftovers and try to create something entirely different for another night's meal.  So last night I took some leftover cooked turkey and made what hubs and I considered yummy Quesadillas.

Here's what I used:

* Leftover cooked turkey. You could use chicken instead if you wanted. I probably used about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of thinly sliced pieces of turkey breast to make 9 small Quesadillas.



Oops, forgot to show the Cheddar Cheese
* 1/2 sweet red bell pepper plus 1/2 sweet yellow bell pepper. I keep my peppers in my freezer, pre-sliced and ready to use. Did you know you can freeze peppers? Yep. When you buy them, don't wash them. Just cut them however you want - slices, quarters, halves... it's your choice. Remove the inside seeds and the stem. Then put them in ziplock baggies and toss in the freezer. They're good for many months! When you are ready to use some, just pull out what you need, rinse them under water for a few minutes (that washes them and defrosts them slightly) and you're good to go.

* 1/2 onion cut into slices

* 3/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed

* 3/4 cup frozen corn niblets. You can use canned corn, just be sure to drain the corn before using

v1 tomato cut into small chunks or slices. I had one old tomato I wanted to use up so even though I didn't really need tomato due to the salsa addition, I added this anyway and I'm glad I did!

* 1 tsp. cumin

* 1/2 tsp cardamon

* 2 -3  tsp. fajita mix. You can use as much or as little as you like

* Salsa. I used mild but you can use any kind you like from mild to hot. I put about 3 Tbsp. on each Quesadilla before I folded them.

* Shredded cheese. I used a Cheddar mix.

* Pre-cooked bacon. I used 4 slices that I cut into chunks.  I only used it because we had a few slices left over from the morning when I made some delicious grilled cheese with egg, bacon, tomato and avocado.

* Tortillas. I used 9 - some were white, some were whole wheat.

How to Make the Quesadillas

After you have prepped everything, toss the onion, pre-cooked bacon, tomato, sweet peppers, black beans, turkey slices or chunks, and corn into a fry pan.

Add the spices (coriander, cumin and fajita mix) then mix. Saute everything on medium heat until the onion is translucent.

If you don't have enough bacon fat left in the bacon to keep things from sticking, add a very small dribble of olive oil to the pan.

Lay out your tortillas and place the turkey mixture on 1/2 of each tortilla. Add 3 Tbsp. of salsa to the top of each mixture and then put shredded cheese on top. Fold the tortilla over so you have semi-circles and flatten them with your hands.


Adding the salsa
Adding the cheese, ready to fold in half

Folded, flattened and ready for the oven.
 Place on a baking sheet and cook in a 350' oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and salsa on the side.

Comments