Yam-Black Bean Tortilla Rollups

Yam-Black Bean Tortilla Rollups
Hubs bought huge yams (sweet potatoes) last week. I don't like using those as a side vegetable as they can be woody or have black spots inside. Because there were several, I decided I didn't want to feed them to our pigs either so I sat down and thought about how I could use them and enjoy their flavours.

Right now I'm on a Black Bean kick and I love Mexican type foods so I came up with the idea to mix the yams (cooked) with Black beans and roll them up inside tortillas then cover them with a sauce and bake them.

They were delicious! Here's what you need:

4 to 5 large yams
1 can of Black Beans
1 jar of Salsa (mild, medium, spicy - it's your choice)
Tortillas. I used whole wheat and white
Cumin
Coriander
Cilantro
Lime
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Cheddar Cheese

Here's how I made them:

Cut the ends off the yams, and slice them in half if they are large. Otherwise just pierce them a few times with a knife or fork and place in a baking dish or on a baking tray. Cook in 350' oven for about 90 minutes until quite soft. 

 When the yams are ready, peel them or scoop the insides out. Then chop or lightly mash the insides.

Meanwhile, drain and rinse the black beans. Pour them into a mixing bowl.  Add a squirt of fresh lime juice (about 1/4 of the lime). Add 1 tsp each of cumin, cilantro and coriander. Add the cooked yams. Mix well.


Lay your tortillas out on a counter and start filling them with the yam-Black bean mixture.
Next spread a little salsa in the bottom of a casserole dish, roll up the tortillas and place them, seam side down, on top of the salsa.

Now spread about 1/2 cup of salsa over the top of the tortillas
Sprinkle with the grated cheddar cheese.
Cover tightly with foil or a lid and bake in a 350' oven for 30 minutes
Ready to eat! I served mine with chopped avocado and a squeeze of lime juice on top, and a side of corn and steamed broccoli. And of course, the obligatory sour cream on top of these tasty rollups!





Comments