Scrumptious Tomato Onion Relish

Tomato Relish
After I made Chili Sauce using hubs' grandmother's recipe (with a few alterations to modern it up a wee bit) I still had tomatoes left.

So I decided to make my own Tomato Onion Relish. I'm not a big fan of green relish you buy in stores and I buy a gourmet zesty tomato-onion when it's available. But I can't always get it so the idea of making my own appealed to me!

I found a recipe online from Exclusively Food that sounded good and with a few tweaks I was ready to go. I ended up using the last 12 tomatoes and making a delicious relish for hamburgers, hot dogs or a side with turkey, chicken or pork.

Ingredients
Vinegars
12 tomatoes
4 Tbsp. oil - I used Canola
4 onions
4 sweet bell peppers. I used red but yellow would be nice for a contrast with the red of the tomatoes
8 cloves garlic
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste





Method
Remove the skin of the tomatoes. See instructions (two different methods) for doing this the easy way! Chop them up and dump all bits including juice, in a large pot.

Saute onions, pepper, garlic
Dice the onions and peppers. Heat the oil and saute the chopped onion and peppers until onion is translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook one more minute.






In the pot, bring to boil

Put the onion mixture into the pot with the tomatoes. Add sugar, vinegars, salt and pepper.








Bring to a boil then simmer, uncovered, about one hour or until the mixture is as thick as you like it. Remember it will thicken a bit more when cooled






Simmering on stove top

Almost thick enough

So yummy!
Pour mixture into sterlized mason jars and seal. Put in a hot water bath for about 20 minutes.
Relish with Empanadas
Served this tomato-onion relish with my homemade Turkey Empanadas and it was yummy!
Relish with Turkey Pot Pie & Brussel Sprouts
Served the tomato-onion relish with my homemade Turkey Pot Pie and Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with Garlic. It was a great contrast with the zest of the tomato, the sweetness of the relish overall and the garlic in the sprouts.

Yield from 12 tomatoes was 6 1/2 cups of relish.

Comments