Fluffly Egg Muffins a la Colby

My 6 year old grandson and I started cooking breakfast eggs in muffin pans. It was just a whim one day when he asked if he could help me make breakfast. So we "invented" this recipe.

He loves to help me put in the "fixins" - chopped salami or baloney, onions, cheese, peppers, mushrooms, etc.

You name it, it can go in these delicious little muffin eggs! And this is the greatest way to encourage young children to cook.

Here's how Colby and I make them:

Use one egg per person and beat with some whipping cream. I can't tell you how much cream as I never measure. Hopefully you've made omelets before and so have some idea of when it's enough milk or cream.

Once you've beat the eggs and cream, add salt and pepper to taste plus other herbs that you like (I use Fine Herbes) and pour the mixture into well greased muffin pans. I use the large size pans and spray canola oil.

Adding Meat to the Egg Mixture
Only fill the pans about 1/3 full. They will puff up when cooked and the ingredients you add will also raise the level of the egg mixture.

Next start putting in the ingredients. Some ingredients, like asparagus, peppers or onions, will need to be sauteed for a few minutes in butter before you add them.

The beauty of making these muffin eggs is that you can make them to suit each person in your household. I make them when we have company staying over.

Last weekend we had 11 people sleeping over in our house and I had to have something I could throw in the oven and forget about while I made pumpkin pancakes, sausages, fried mushrooms and toast. These little muffin eggs were the  perfect solution!

Add Cheddar Cheese
I like to put in the following ingredients: finely chopped green onions, chopped mushrooms, chopped asparagus, diced red peppers, feta cheese and topped with cheddar cheese. I put diced salami and baloney in the rest.

After topping with the grated cheese of your choice, bake these little gems in a 350' oven for about 12 to 15 minutes. Check them every so often after 12 minutes by inserting a knife into the center. If it comes out wet, they are not done.

Remove from the muffin pan immediately after taking them out of the oven. I use a large spoon to get them out. Serve immediately. They will be soft and fluffy on the inside and slightly crisp on top.

Comments

Celia Lewis said…
This looks like a great idea, Lorine. I'd have to make a few changes because of our milk allergies, but really, it's quite do-able, I think. And rather like do-it-yourself pizzas, this could easily be a do-it-yourself egg muffin! I'll try it soon and see if my modifications will still make them work. Thanks for your great recipes.
Celia, I'll be interested in your changes and how they work! One of my sons and one grandson are lactose intolerant so I was thinking of using goat's milk for theirs.

I think water would make the muffin eggs too thin and perhaps not puff as much.

Please note that I corrected something on the recipe this morning. I neglected to explain that some ingredients like asparagus, have to be sauteed briefly first or they don't cook in the time in the oven