Sprouting: Lentils Day One

I used to grow sprouts in trays back in the '70s when it was the "in" thing to do. I have not grown them for over 30 years but recently decided to start up again. Things have changed! There are so many varieties of sprout seeds you can buy, it's overwhelming.

So I bought Alfafa Sprouts, Lentils (black) and Garbanzo Beans. The research I did online shows me how to grow them so here goes!

Today I'm starting with Black Lentils. I have a plastic sprouter with an insert which allows drainage.

Step 1 was to get 1/2 cup of lentils. I put those in my plastic insert and began rinsing. Lukewarm water, not too hot and not too cold. I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed.

Then I put the insert in the container (all the way down, I don't want it to drain) and added water so the lentils can soak for 8 to 12 hours. I put in about 3 or 4 times as much water as lentils.



This is what the lentils look like soaking in their water inside the plastic container.
 
I now have to rinse and drain them every 8 hours, so I will do that at night and first thing in the morning.
 
They should be ready for eating in 3 days.

Comments