Salsa Meatloaf with Cheese

Salsa Cheese Meatloaf
I'm not fond of Tomato Sauce or Ketchup in meatloaf. In fact I'm not really fond of meatloaf!

So I created this meatloaf recipe that I absolutely love! I started with a meatloaf recipe from Canadian Living Cookbook but changed it quite a bit. (Definitely got rid of the tomato sauce and other ingredients I don't care for like green peppers.

Here's my recipe. Trust me, it's yummy! In a bowl beat 1 egg with a fork. Add 1/c cup dry bread crumbs. I like to use Italian style crumbs for this dish. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/2 tsp Fine Herbes.

Chop 1 onion (or more if you like onions!), 1/2 yellow pepper, 1/2 red pepper (I also switch it up by replacing the peppers with finely chopped carrots -- mmm good) and saute in small amount hot oil for 3-5 minutes. Let cool slightly

Take 1/2 cup salsa. I use mild but you can use any hotness you like. I use chunky Salsa but you could use smooth to disguise the fact that it's salsa if you have kids or a hubby who don't like salsa. Yes it's all about tricking your hubby and kids to eat what you make! Add the salsa to the egg-breadcrumb mixture.

Now add the sauteed vegetables. Add 1 lb of ground turkey. Yes I prefer turkey to ground beef or ground chicken but it's your choice.

Mix everything well - get your hands dirty! Now pack it all into an 8x4inch loaf pan.

Pour another 1/2 cup of the salsa overtop and spread it to cover.

Sprinkle 1/2 cup of grated cheese on top. I use double cheddar - mild and medium because I'm allergic to stronger cheeses but you can use whatever kind you like!

Bake uncovered in 350' oven for 60-75 minutes. Drain well after cooking. I put tinfoil over the top, leave a tiny gap and carefully pour the hot fat out.

This is the red-yellow pepper meatloaf version. I serve mine with baked potatoes with sour cream and butter (or yam fries), and garlic brussel sprouts.

Salsa Meatloaf with Sweet Potato Fries and Brusell Sprouts
This meatloaf is delicious cold the next day in a sandwich spread with Dijon mustard.

UPDATE Oct. 2012: I've revised this recipe and now I cover the meatloaf with tinfoil while baking. I also double the amount of cheese on top.

Comments