Tyler's Best Banana Muffins

Ollies Yummy in Your Tummy: Banana Muffins
The original banana muffin recipe came from a former boss, a school principal. I've changed it over the years to suit my family. Every Saturday I used to make 2 dozen of these muffins to see us through the week. My son Tyler always helped. Finally at age 10 (in Grade 6) he tackled the recipe entirely on his own (except for putting in and taking out of the oven).

The first time he made them on his own, he couldn't read my writing and thought it called for 3 to 4 cups of sugar. When he doubled the recipe he put in 8 cups of sugar. In reality I'd written 3/4 of a cup.... We had quite a mess in the oven as the muffins turned to candy and overflowed. So I call these Tyler's Best Banana Muffins. After the first disastrous experience, he baked delicious muffins for the family every Saturday.

Here is the recipe for 2 dozen muffins

Wet Ingredients

In a large bowl put 3 large ripe bananas, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 2 beaten eggs, 1/3 cup of melted butter, and 1/3 cup applesauce. Mix these with a large fork. Do NOT use an electric beater!! Keep the bananas a little chunky, you don't want mush.

Dry Ingredients

In a smaller bowl put 3 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking soda and 2 tsp baking powder. Mix well with a spoon or spatula.

Pour dry into wet and mix with a large spoon or spatula until there are no white bits. Do not use an electic beater, you must mix this by hand.

Grease muffin pans for 24 muffins, or use the paper muffin inserts. I use a spray canola oil to grease my pans

Bake in a pre-heated 350' oven for 20 minutes. Watch these carefully after the first 15 minutes as they can dry out or turn brown very quickly. Make sure the oven rack is mid-way up the oven

Note: Sometimes I replace a bit of the flour mixture with 1 tbsp soya milk powder and as much spelt flour as suits my fancy that day.

Comments