Ollie's Turkey Lasagne

I'm not much of a red meat eater so I generally use ground turkey in any recipe calling for ground beef. You can also use ground chicken but I like turkey as it has a slightly stronger flavour.

Here's a recipe I created using various other lasagne recipes and trial and error. It's generally a pretty big hit at family functions.

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that I rarely use a recipe to make my specialities. I've been making them for so long I don't measure or have a list of ingredients. I just do it! So when my step-daughter requested the recipe, I had to actually make the lasagne, stopping to write down what I was doing and how much I was using of each ingredient. I hope you enjoy!

This goes well with a nice Caesar Salad and Garlic Bread.

Mixture:
* 2 pkgs ground turkey, sauteed and drained (Keep the fat)
* 4-6 large mushrooms (1 c?) chunked
* 1/2-1 c. celery (2 stalks) small slices, sautee with the onions
* 1-2 onions chunked or sliced, your choice. Saute in the reserved fat until translucent
* Cottage Cheese - 1 big tub + smaller one (you can use 2 big ones if you like lots)
* Ricotta Cheese - 1/2 the amount of Cottage cheese
* Grated cheese - 1 pkg (200 grams) of pre grated cheddar cheese
* Grated cheese - 2 pkgs of the pre grated 3 cheese (mozzarella, cheddar+ colby) (about 3-4 cups)
* Oven ready lasagne, 1- 2 pkgs


Sauce:
* 2 cans diced tomatoes (seasoned with herbs if you can find them)
* Sauteed meat
* Sauteed onions
* Sauteed Celery
* Mushrooms
* 1 TBSP Demerara sugar (or Sugar in the Raw but not plain white)
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1-2 TBSP Fines Herbes (I like McCormick's Gourmet Fine Herbes)
* 2 garlic cloves minced (I use large cloves)
* 1/4-1/2 cup white wine


Mix together on stove top, bring to boil, simmer gently with lid off for 10-15 min. Use a lasagne pan. I use the disposable tin foil ones, this makes 2 to 3 pans. Layer in each pan. Remember you have to divide the totals by 2 or 3 depending how many pans you're making. I make this using 2 pans, and divide everything in half so it has thick layers, the way we like it.

Now put in one scoop of sauce to wet the bottom, followed by the folling layers:

* Lasagne noodles
* Cottage cheese
* Ricotta Cheese
* Meat Tomato sauce
* grated cheese


Repeat layers starting with the lasagne noodles. Do as many layers as you like. I end with grated cheese on top, lots, so that it is covered. After each meat-tomato layer I put in, I often add a bit more Fine Herbes on top

Cook in oven, not covered, for 30-35 min til cheese on top melts. Let this sit for a day if possible before serving and eating. as it melds the flavours and cuts better after 24 hours.

Comments